Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Better Call Saul: A Lawyer's Analysis on the Science of Ethics and Art of Storytelling - Episodes 1 and 2

BETTER CALL SAUL

A YOUNG LAWYER'S ANALYSIS OF JIMMY McGILL'S A.K.A. SAUL GOODMAN'S LAWYERING AND ETHICAL DILEMMAS


The long wait is finally over! Better Call Saul, the prequel to Breaking Bad is finally here, and it did not disappoint.   Bob Odenkirk has returned to AMC to play Saul Goodman in a series about an attorney always conflicted between his moral compass and duties as a lawyer.  It is one hell of a story.

My Inspiration:


One of my favorite classes in law school was Professional Responsibility, otherwise known as ethics. Ethics was one of my favorite courses because our professor would play clips from classic lawyer movies in which the lawyer would encounter an 'ethical dilemma.'  The class would then discuss the ethical dilemma caused by the situation, the ethical rules that apply to the situation, whether the lawyer acted ethically, and how the lawyer could have acted differently if he did indeed violate the rules.  The general rule of thumb is go with your gut instinct.  However, "What would Jesus do?" was also pretty popular on my campus.

What To Expect:


In this series of blawg posts, I will address some ethical dilemmas our favorite protagonist/antagonist encounters (face it, what makes this such a good show is that Saul is his own worse enemy).   

I will also highlight some of good things the Counselor does, ESPECIALLY STORYTELLING, because, believe it or not, SAUL IS GOOD.  

Finally, I will call it like I see it:  Better Call Saul is essentially a lawyer joke.  Saul Goodman is the epitome of a slimy, sleazy, shark of a lawyer that hits most most of the negative stereotypes possible. Thus, I will stand up for the honorable and downtrodden.

Check back in for my next Better Call Saul Blog analyzing Saul Goodman.



No comments:

Post a Comment