Wednesday, May 6, 2015

HOW DO YOU DEFEND THOSE PEOPLE? REFLECTIONS ON THE CONSTITUTION



I just returned from a trip to our nation's capitol.  I went to D.C. for the Anti-Defamation League Glass Leadership Institute Summit.  The Anti-Defamation League is a nongovernmental organization that fights against hate and for civil rights.  

The trip was amazing.  I attended several panels, asked pressing questions of the associate director of the FBI for terrorism, and someone in a similar position in the White House. I met Senator Cory Booker and saw John McCain speak.  I also had the opportunity to do a lot of walking and a lot of touring. 

I saw four things that were extremely moving:  The Declaration of Independence, United States Constitution, The Bill of Rights, and the flag that inspired the Star-Spangled Banner.

Over the course of my weekend in D.C. I was asked many times, "How do you do it?  How do you defend criminals?  How do you defend people you know are guilty?"  In fact, I have been asked these questions ever since I began practicing criminal law.  Those four pieces of American History are the lights that guide me to represent those accused among us.  My response to these questions is always that if my client is not free, if my client is not guaranteed all of his rights under the Constitution, if my client if not treated how you would expect to be treated if you were in his position, you are not free, you will not have those rights and protections, and you will be treated no better than him.

Clarence Darrow said it best, if you are not free, I am not free.

One of my clients will be charged with Intoxicated Manslaughter.  One of my mentors asked me if I'll take the case, and I told him that I'm not sure if I can because a childhood friend of mine was recently killed by a drunk driver.  My mentor, Eric Davis, stopped me in my tracks and reminded me what I told all my new friends this weekend: It is so important to protect the Constitution, and my client trusts me with his life, and I owe it to him, and everyone out there, to repay that trust.

God Bless America

No comments:

Post a Comment